flowers that heal
For centuries, flowers have been used to heal everything from infections, to sunburn and anxiety. Almost every culture references the symbolic meaning of flowers and, medical practitioners have now long acknowledged their therapeutic properties. All elements of the flower contain a value that can be applied in a variety of formulations for healing purposes. These properties include its color, symbolism, fragrance, essence and vibrational energy. Simply looking at flowers has been proven to make us smile, lift our mood and generate positive thoughts. Read on to find our more about the healing properties and the methods of application.
One of the greatest advantages of flower & plant based remedies is that they are completely natural and are mostly taken without any of the negative side effects that modern pills and medications can induce. Remedies made from flowers are also much cheaper than drugs marketed by pharmaceutical companies. There are numerous preparations available including teas, tinctures, capsules, creams & lotions and oils (see also below section on aromatherapy). Here are some of Hannah's favorites:
- Flower & plant based teas are a popular and enjoyable way to ingest therapeutic blends - soothing Chamomile to relax and aid sleep, refreshing Mint to clear the mind and soothe digestion, Ginger to boost circulation and relieve an upset stomach. There are so many to discover and you can also easily make your own by steeping fresh, organic varieties in boiling water.
- Arnica Montana homoeopathic pellets and creams for sore, tired muscles and bruises - a perennial, herbaceous plant from the sunflower family, this amazing plant is absolutely fantastic at healing bruises.
- Bach flower essences - discovered by Dr. Edward Bach over 80 years ago, this is a system of 38 flower remedies that correct emotional imbalances, replacing negative emotions with positive ones. The remedies, taken as a ta few drops 4 times a day, work in conjunction with herbs, homoeopathy and medications and are safe for everyone including children, pregnant women, pets and the elderly. I have been using Rescue Remedy (a proprietary blend of 5 flower remedies) since I was a teenager, whenever I'm feeling stressed or nervous I take a few drops. Learn more here at Bach Flowers.
- Geranium - favored by the Egyptians for promoting radiant skin, this amazing & beautifully fragrant plant oil can be used to treat acne, reduce inflammation, alleviate stress, uplift the mood and balance hormones. I use this essential oil almost everyday to lessen fatigue and keep me emotionally balanced, by adding a few drops to some water in my oil burner and applying it diluted with a carrier oil in a roller ball bottle on my pulse points.
color & our chakras
Chakra - a Sanskrit word meaning disk - is a center of energy in the body. There are seven main chakras (many spiritual practitioners believe we have now evolved our vibrational frequency to a system of thirteen chakras) which follow your spine starting from the base of your spine through to the top, or crown, of your head. During yoga, meditation and in Ayurveda a chakra is visualised by imaging a swirling colored wheel or ball of energy. This energy is Prana, the vital life that keeps us healthy. Each chakra represents physical areas of the body and emotions, and is associated with a color. A blocked or imbalanced chakras often lead to illness. Understanding what each chakra represents can help us to better understand the root cause of ailments, and therefore, in clearing this blockages or imbalance, heal our body & mind.
For our prescriptive bouquets we use the chakra colors to express the sentiment behind the flower gift and also to aid healing.
- Crown chakra - violet/white/silver - AWARENESS - located at the top of the head: spiritual energy, clarity, wisdom, apathy, inner beauty
- Third Eye - purple - INTUITION - located in between & slightly above the eyes, associated: hormones, the brain, psychic connection, addiction, grief, perception
- Throat chakra - blue - COMMUNICATION - located in the throat area near the base of the neck: thyroid, metabolism, intellect, creativity, inability to listen
- Heart chakra - green/pink - RELATIONSHIPS - located in the heart area: heart, lungs, thymus, emotions, balance, harmony
- Solar Plexus - yellow - POWER - located in the stomach area: stomach, spleen, liver, pancreas, vitality, creativity, stress, self-esteem, aggression
- Sacral chakra - orange - EMOTIONS - located about 2" below the navel: reproductive organs, intestines, motivation, happiness, sexuality, emotional numbness
- Root chakra - red - SURVIVAL - located at the base of the spine in the tail-bone area: skeleton, immune system, bone marrow, connection to earth "grounding", greed
Flowers are a part of the most important occasions and milestones - birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, funerals - and they form an integral part of our lives. We use flowers to help us express feelings and emotions when its difficult to find the right words. Most people agree that flowers have meanings and a language of their own, everyone knows that a red rose stands for romantic love. Every flower variety is infused with symbolism cultivated from the origin of their names to their mythology and characteristics.
For our prescriptive bouquets we carefully select the flowers for their symbolism to express the sentiment behind the gift and also to aid healing.
Aromatherapy is a form of alternative medicine and is commonly used for mood enhancement, pain relief and improved cognitive function. The natural oils are extracted from flowers, stems, leaves, roots or other parts of the plant and can be either inhaled or absorbed through the skin, travelling through the bloodstream to promote whole-body healing. There is a vast variety of essential oils available and each has its own healing properties associated with different physical and emotional ailments.
Aromatherapy become popular in the United States during the 1980s. Today, many lotions, candles and beauty products are sold as "aromatherapy" however, many contain synthetic fragrances that do not have the same healing properties. Essential oils have been used for therapeutic purposes in cosmetics, perfumes and drugs for over 6,000 years. The ancient Chinese, Indians, Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans used essential oils for spiritual, therapeutic, hygienic, and ritualistic purposes.
Aromatherapy works in two ways. When you breathe in essential oils they stimulate the parts of your brain that influence physical, emotional and mental health. For example, lavender stimulates the brain cells in a similar way to how sedative medications work. When you use essential oils topically, in massage, perfume & for bathing, they are absorbed into the blood stream and interact with hormones and enzymes. It is important to check the safety of specific essential oils before using if you're pregnant or trying to become pregnant.
There is nothing more relaxing or luxurious than an essential oil aromatherapy massage! It is also arguably the most effective way to benefit from the oils because you breathe in the fragrance, absorb them through the skin and experience the physical therapy of the massage.
For our prescriptive bouquets we carefully select the flowers for their aromatherapy properties to express the sentiment behind the gift and also to aid healing.
Crystal healing is a totally non-invasive form of alternative medicine that works holistically to harmonize the mind, body, emotions and spirit. It helps to neutralize negativity, increase our feeling of well-being and can lift depression. Used for centuries as a tool for healing, each crystal variety resonates at a certain frequency. It is this resonance energy that gives them their healing abilities.
In crystal healing therapies, the crystals are generally placed on specific areas of the body to bring relief. They can be used for chakra healing by placing the associated colored crystals to the areas of the body corresponding to the seven chakra system. During crystal wand or pendulum techniques, they are swept over the body to identify area(s) of dis-ease or imbalance and then heal the affected area(s). Here are some of the many conditions that crystals can alleviate:
- Insomnia - Rose Quartz, Smoky Quartz, Amethyst
- Headaches - Amethyst, Turquoise and Amber, Lapis Lazuli for migraines
- Lethargy - Tiger Eye, Citrine, Clear Quartz
- Mental & nervous stress - Green Jade, Rose Quartz, Amethyst
- Emotional pain, heartache - Rose Quartz
Carrying or wearing a crystal is a very effective way to benefit from their energy resonance and you can enjoy their aesthetic beauty by wearing crystal jewelry or placing them in your home and workplace.